Visiting a dwelling is probably the most crucial step to help you find the apartment of your dreams. However, in order to avoid getting influenced solely by the new set of cupboards or the size of the bathroom, it is always better to know in advance which questions to ask the landlord before signing a lease. This will help you discover and get to know the place that you are on the verge of making your own.
So we have listed for you the 10 most important points to discuss with the landlord during an apartment tour.
1. Dwelling adjustments
- Do you cover the cost of paint?
- Am I allowed to choose any color of paint I want?
- Am I allowed to change the decoration in the apartment?
- Am I allowed to install a satellite dish or cable?
- Am I allowed to have a garden?
2. Included services and amenities
- What type of heating is in place?
- Are heating, hot water and electricity included in the rent?
- If they are not included, what is the expected cost for the heating?
- Are there a dryer and a washer available in the apartment?
- Is it possible to add appliances?
3. Duration and conditions of the lease
- Are pets allowed? If so, what kind?
- Do I have access to the backyard?
- Are there any special conditions to the lease?
- Are there any building regulations? If so, can I go through them?
- Do you cover the cost of appliances repair if they are included in the rent?
- How do you go about in case of minor repairs?
- Are there any renovations expected before or during the lease?
- Who will take care of shovelling the snow?
- Who is responsible of the lawn maintenance?
5. Pest prevention
- Has there been a pest problem during the last year (mice, ants, bedbugs, etc.)?
- How was the problem solved?
- Is there an allocated parking spot for each tenant?
- Are there additional fees for the parking space?
- If not, where in the neighbourhood is street parking allowed?
- Are there any parking spaces available for guests?
- Is there a storage space available?
- Are there any extra fees for the storage space?
- Is it safe and secured?
- Where is it located?
- Is there a designated space to store my bike, my tires, etc.?
8. Security System
- Were the door locks changed recently?
- Which areas are secured with a lock?
- Are there any surveillance cameras in the common areas?
- Is it possible to install a surveillance system?
9. Insulation and soundproofing of the apartment
- Is the apartment well insulated?
- Is it soundproof?
- How are the other tenants in the building?
- How is the neighbourhood?
- Any shops, stores, markets nearby?
- Is the tenant turnover rate in the building high?
With that in mind, you should be all set and ready for your next apartment tour!